UGA

Saturday, December 1, 2007

The Promise Of The Second Wind

A book I read several months ago was, The Promise of the Second Wind: It's Never Too Late to Pursue God's Best by Bill Butterworth. It is a book about Bill's divorce. I am not divorced. In fact I have a wonderful wife. We have been married for over 26 years. God blessed me over and beyond in what I could ever imaged by giving me my wife. 

I read Bill's book for two reasons. I enjoy his writing and being in education I thought it might help me as I encounter those who have been effected by divorce. I have listed several quotes from his book:

We live in the ordinary. It's God who steps in and does the extraordinary. p. 19

Too often in life we are prone to assume that the die is already cast. Maybe there were bright options when we were teenagers or in college or in early adulthood. But not now. Our lives become locked in, the day has hardened, the groove has become too deep. The resulting boredom is simply the price we pay for getting older. All of which makes no sense at all to a God who is timeless. He doesn't live by clocks and calendars. He operates in a whole bigger dimension. p. 20

I'm realizing that I have to be inward-directed. What God speaks to my heart is more important than what people say. p. 21

The only thing harder than waiting on God is wishing we had. p. 144

Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for Him (Psalm 37:7). The timing is not to be our issue. We will never be able to predict what God has in mind or when He intends to unfold it. Our job is simply to be ready, available, and cooperative. p. 150

It  takes our breath away to realize that God sees more in us than we see in ourselves! p. 161

To every person who says, "Lord I'm nobody special, " God replies, "I am the Lord who made you in the first place."
To everyone who complains, "I never got to finish college," He replies, I am the omniscient one, the source of all knowledge."
To everyone who says, "I can't make ends meet this month, and I don't know what to do," He answers, "I am Jehovah-jireh, the God who supplies."
To every mom who cries, "I'm a single parent, and these kids are driving me nuts," He says, I am a Father to the fatherless." p. 162

To order this book, click here!

1 comment:

Donna said...

Tim, these are amazingly powerful quotes. I can't wait to read this book! Hmmm...now to figure out how to get it to Mexico...

Great blog!

Donna

The Family

The Family
Braves Game 2012